Reach out is an innovative street based youth work project which will engage socially excluded young people from Bartley Green in public spaces where they gather, such as shopping precincts and parks.
Through Reachout we will seek to:
- build relationships with young people and the wider community;
- assess the needs of local young people through ongoing consultation and community profiling;
- plan, deliver and monitor programmes designed to meet those identified needs;
- establish strong links with other agencies;
- mentor Newman Youth and Community Work students who will volunteer on the project as part of their placement;
- ensure the voices of the young people are heard;
- ensure the sustainability of the project through seeking out funding.
Street based youth work specifically targets those who do not access existing provision, so Reachout will be more inclusive than existing providers. Furthermore, street based youth work is well placed to engage young people at risk of offending.