Counselling service for Schools and Colleges
It is widely recognised that dealing with children and young people’s mental health has become a regular part of teachers and lecturers workloads.
Even with well-developed pastoral care systems, there is often a need for additional support to meet the emotional and mental health needs of young people today.
Some schools, academies and colleges have already invested in on-site counselling expertise, but even then it can be difficult to keep waiting rooms short and ensure students receive timely support. Other institutions recognise their students need additional support and are seeking alternative ways to provide this assistance.
Newman University has a proud history of training teachers and working in education. Newman Health and Wellbeing is a new way of building on these existing relationships to provide emotional support to pupils and student
Newman Health & Wellbeing Counselling & Psychotherapy
Newman also had a strong track record in the training of professional counsellors, which includes a postgraduate level integrative counselling and psychotherapy course, specialising in working with young people.
Following a successful school based pilot, a new campus based counselling service called Newman Health & Wellbeing Counselling & Psychotherapy will help schools meet the increasing demand for counselling and emotional support.
Newman Health & Wellbeing Counselling & Psychotherapy brings the skills of practitioners, tutors and trainee practitioners together to deliver a professional counselling service. Your pupil will be matched to a counsellor that is best able to relate to the young person and the issues they are looking to resolve.
How counselling can help
Counselling can help with:
- Anger and anxiety
- Depression and low mood
- Bereavement and loss
- Difficulties with relationships of all types
- Difficulties with transitions or adjusting
- Trauma and all types of abuse
- Stress including exam related stress
- Sexual orientation
- Gender identity
- Food/eating concerns
Newman Health & Wellbeing Counselling & Psychotherapy operates on a cost recovery basis, paid for by either commissioning organisations, such as educational establishments or individuals themselves with a contribution from Newman University.
Schools, academies and colleges draw upon their own budgets (including using pupil premium funding). Adults requiring counselling or parents concerned about their child may self-refer and pay for the service they receive.
Why schools and colleges should choose Newman Health & Wellbeing Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Flexible delivery – at school or campus based counselling rooms including a dedicated children’s therapy room
- Extensive knowledge and practical expertise – the service is based on the collective knowledge and experience base of the counselling lecturers, all of whom are senior practitioners in their own right.
- Practitioners with specific training and experience in working with children and young people. Newman University currently offers the only professional training programme in the West Midlands that leads to accreditation as a child and adolescent counsellors/psychotherapists and is accredited by the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Counselling available throughout the school year – offering continuity of service during school holidays
- Range of appointment times available – daytime and evenings
- Impact evaluation and research reports – schools will be able to request reports prepared to University research standards based on the specifics of the service delivered
- Professional body membership – all counsellors as a minimum will be members of their professional bodies and will work to the relevant ethical code. Some will be close to or have achieved accredited counsellor status and others will have many years of counselling experience
- Clinical supervision – all counsellors receive external supervision to ensure the quality of therapeutic work
- Expertise in adult counselling – referrals can also be made for members of staff either as a stand-alone option or in combination with pupil counselling support
Find out more/Book a counselling assesment
If you would like to find out more about Newman Health & Wellbeing Counselling and Psychotherapy, please contact using the methods listed below:
Telephone – 0121 483 2205
or fill out the form below: